Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day 130 -16th November 2010

Today's post is from a senior who at one point time was my junior. Didn't get it? Let me explain - Kaushik was 2 years my junior at engineering college and got into MICA immediately after graduation, I on the other hand worked for nearly 3 years before coming here, so that makes him my senior. Anyways here's how the life of a pgp-2 student feels like -

Er.

I am honoured and privileged to be a part of this social media initiative. I feel that this is an efficient tool that reaches out to the right audience, and also believe that this media channel needs to be leveraged in order to drive saliency, awareness and engage the consumer. Paradigm shifts in media behaviour suggest that social media is the future for most brands.

Sorry, I have been working on a debate, a case study, and my dissertation – this has led to the thoughts in my brain being all messed up, resulting in the above. Speaking of dissertation, I fail to understand how my report on “Effect of country of origin on alcohol branding” is going to be of any relevance to the industry, academia, or other Latin-inspired words that our “global” professors and “dissertation committee” come up with. It is a mindless exercise comprising of half hearted research, zero relevance, and absolutely no industry potential. Oh well, that is true for most projects in any B-School J

Oh, I’m supposed to write about my day. When Siddharth asked me to write, I was quite clueless, considering I am awake all night and sleep (soundly) during the day, so I’m going to write about my night. I woke up around 3 (in the afternoon), only to realise that I had dropped a subject, and the last general elective was on. Oh wait, that doesn’t make sense, I’ll explain. See, I had taken a subject, it got dropped, and there was this subject called Sports Marketing that was supposed to commence. I realised that I HAD to take that subject if I had to complete my GE credits. Talking about sports marketing, it is probably the only area of marketing that I have no interest in. Make me sell/market anything – soap, biscuits, condoms, shampoo, lipstick, underwear, soap, laptops, soap (did I mention soap?), I’ll do it. But sports marketing? No no. Its probably because I don’t understand why people would run around a ball and waste their time, and then again, why some other people would bother spending money on it. Just doesn’t interest me (Micalal don’t edit this)

So I attended those sessions, and they were mostly about the IPL (surprise!). Post that, I did some MICANVAS work = running around with a box from my hostel to another. Damn, MICANVAS, that thing is addictive. I still have a hangover. I then (finally) met my dissertation guide – my only motivation for this is the word “alcohol” in the topic. This (as every discussion in MICA does) disintegrated into whether MICA is going down the drain or up the pyramid. After two hours of discussing whether “MICAn’s lack depth” and “Without CAT, these batches are just not up to the mark (or are they?)”, I got back to my room.

I thought I’ll work on my dissertation, but oh well, didn’t work. I ended up watching Californication. I am now officially addicted to this series. Its brilliant, and based in LA. Oh wait, there’s an insight – the only other series I’m addicted to is Entourage, also based in LA. Maybe I should look for a job there.

Anyway, post that, I worked on the DraftFCB+Ulka case study competition that seems to be the flavour of the week. Yes, its fest season, and every week, there is a new festival/competition that everyone seems to be participating.

Anyway, I have written quite a bit, and this isn’t exactly my forte, so I’ll sign off!

No comments:

Post a Comment